Saturday, January 26, 2013

things I vow NOT to do this year

When was it that we all voted on exhaustion as a status symbol? (Thanks, Brene Brown). As I was leaving work on Friday, I ran into a colleague and noted in passing, "It's been a productive week. You have to feel good going into the weekend." As he proceeded through the door he sighed, "No matter. I'm working all weekend anyway."

At first I felt guilty that I don't plan to haul my work home for the weekend and then I reminded myself of the things I said I would not do in 2013 so that I can live a balanced life. When George Bernard Shaw said, "I want to be thoroughly used up when I die" I don't think he was talking about letting his life get sucked into the vortex of one thing without tending the rest. All of the categories of life - work, play, family, friends - are meant to work in concert and not opposition. So in the spirit of Shaw and Brown both, I have decided that in 2013 I will not:
  • take my day job home with me.
  • permit myself to blow off exercise, unless I'm sick.
  • stress over the pressure to grow plants in my house; I'll use the planter to collect wine corks.
  • let my herbs mildew in the bottom of the vegetable drawer.
  • stress over mildewed food in the bottom of the vegetable drawer.
  • use the three step system for washing my fact; two will do.
  • keep my house pristine; I compensate with low lighting.
  • cook dinner every night; my children are old enough to heat a frozen pizza.
  • schedule impossible-to-meet back-to-back commitments; my life needs more margin.
  • leave the house in a rush without kissing my husband and kids; they're the why for most of life.

What are you doing to add margin or value in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment